So it’s the middle of summer and the worst thing that could possibly ever happen on a 40-degree day happens…you notice the air con isn’t working properly.
Maybe it’s not keeping the room as cold as it used to. Or there’s a funny burning smell coming from the unit. At this point you’ll probably be looking at air conditioning repair or at least an air conditioning service.
Whatever is causing the issue to your air con, it could be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. But like all warranties, there is a clear list of what is covered and what isn’t covered.
First let’s take a look at what’s NOT covered by your Air Conditioner Warranty:
Of course, each manufacturer’s warranty will be different, but here’s a list of what generally won’t be covered.
- Blocked filters and drains due to a lack of maintenance.
- Outside impact to the unit. E.g lightening strikes, physical and water damage, fire, power surges or flood.
- Internal damage to the unit caused by pests or insects. E.g. mice chewing the wires, fried geckos trapped inside, ant’s nests (you’d be amazed at how many ants nests we see inside air con units!)
- Power brown-outs that require the unit to be reset.
- Issues caused by the air inlet or outlet being obstructed or blocked.
- Issues caused by the unit not being used according to the instruction guidelines.
- If you disassemble the unit yourself and it does not work once it is reassembled.
Basically the warranty won’t cover any issue related to exposure, damage, obstruction or a build up of dirt.
The black marks seen here are actually ants that have been fried in an air con circuit board. This is a very common problem.
What your Air Conditioner Warranty DOES cover:
- Any issue caused by a manufacturing defect. E.g. a faulty fan motor or printed circuit board failure.
A typical Air Conditioner Warranty will only cover defective parts that are a direct error by the manufacturer. To get an idea of how a warranty is worded, Click Here to download a standard Mitsubishi unit warranty.
How can I tell if it’s a warranty issue or not?
Don’t worry, we can help! If there’s something wrong with your air con and you think it could be covered by the warranty, here’s what to do:
- Read the warranty thoroughly. As best as you can, ensure that the issues not covered by the warranty aren’t impacting the unit. E.g ant’s nests near the unit, dirty filters, obstruction to the inlets.
- Call Acer Service and get advice. We’ll happily talk you through some basic troubleshooting issues. Your unit may simply need to be reset after a brown-out or the remote batteries changed. Or it might be time to undergo a full “strip and clean” which we can arrange.
- If it looks like it could be a warranty issue, we will direct you to call the manufacturer who will then issue us a work-order so we can come out fix the unit.
What happens if there’s a service call and it’s not a warranty issue?
If one of our technicians are sent out to fix a unit and the issue is not covered by the Air Conditioner Warranty, then the service call has to be charged for.
This is why we recommend first calling Acer Services when you notice a problem so we can walk you through some common problems that you may be able to fix yourself.
If our technician is able to confirm it’s a warranty issue once they have done an on-site inspection, then the cost to fix the unit will be covered by the manufacturer.
How can I avoid experiencing problems with my air con?
To prevent your worst nightmare of sweltering away in a summer heatwave without a working air con, here’s our top 3 tips for preventing issues with your unit:
1 – Maintenance! Maintenance! Maintenance!
We hate to sound naggy but we can not stress enough how important maintenance is. Not only will regular servicing keep your air con working in tip top shop, but it helps to identify and prevent any potential issues from arising in the future.
During a minor service we can recommend if it’s time for you to consider a full “strip and clean” in which we get in behind the fans and do a really thorough job. We can come back and do this for you another time and provide a quote.
We’ll also do a visual inspection of around your unit to check for obstructions and potential problems like ant’s nests.
2 – Hold on to your paperwork
Keep your proof of purchase and warranty in a safe place. Also remember to keep track of your maintenance so you don’t let it lapse. Acer Services will keep logs of maintenance done to your unit. We also suggest you read through your warranty so you get an idea of what is covered and what’s not
3 – Check your unit and keep it clean
A good clean of your filters can make a world of difference. Remove and wash with a garden hose and also do a thorough vacuum. It’s also a good idea to have a look around the internal and external units and check for things like obstructions or ant’s nests.
Not sure what your Air Conditioner Warranty covers? Just ask Acer Services!
For more expert help and advice on your warranty, talk to one of our friendly, helpful team members. Simply click here to contact us.